Today, April 30, is the national holiday in The Netherlands called Koninginnedag (Queen’s Day). The Dutch have been celebrating Queen’s Day on April 30 since 1949, when the new Queen Juliana ascended the throne (30 April is Juliana’s birthday). When the current Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana in 1980, she chose to keep Queen’s Day on April 30. Queen’s day is the most celebrated holiday here in Holland. Amsterdam festivities in particular rival those of Mardi Gras in New Orleans or New Year’s Eve in New York City. Don’t miss a visit to Amsterdam when you are around on 30 April, it’s a big (orange) party!
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
SPONSORSINTERESTED IN ADVERTISING?
- A BEACH COTTAGE ON FIRE ISLAND (NEAR NEW YORK)
- A STYLIST & PHOTOGRAPHER’S BEAUTIFUL FRENCH HOME
- A LIGHT FILLED CANAL HOUSE IN AMSTERDAM
- THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS
- A PERFECT FAMILY VACATION RENTAL IN BYRON BAY
- A FRENCH LOFT WITH STUNNING PARIS ROOFTOP VIEW
- A BEAUTIFUL NEW ENGLAND INSPIRED HOME IN MAINE, USA
- A MIX OF TRADITION & MODERN AESTHETICS ON PAROS
- FRENCH INSPIRED SILK COLLECTION BY & OTHER STORIES
- A MODERN SHAKER KITCHEN IN AN OLD UK CATTLE SHED