The devastating fires in Australia have taken human toll, houses have been destroyed and over a billion animals are now thought to have been killed by the record-breaking wildfires. The fires are particularly difficult on two of Australia’s most beloved native species: kangaroos and koalas. Nearly one-third of all koalas in NSW have died, and about a third of their habitat has been destroyed. It breaks my heart and make me feel helpless.. But there are things we can do to help. There are many wonderful organisations that are now working around the clock helping people and taking care of the wounded and misplaced animals. They all need money and every $ is welcome. Here is what you can do to help:
– You can donate to the Australian Red Cross, which has volunteers at evacuation and recovery centers.
– You can help the devastated animal population by giving to WIRES, an Australian wildlife rescue nonprofit.
– Support the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, which has already saved 31 thirsty and traumatized koalas from fire-afflicted regions. They are now building drinking stations for koalas still in their habitats who need water, as well as hoping to build a “koala ark” for rehabilitation.
– Donate to Wildlife Victoria, donations will be distributed to wildlife shelters and carers to help rebuild enclosures and equipment that they have lost in the fires so that they can continue their lifesaving work, and support those that are struggling to cope with the enormous number of animals that will need care in the coming weeks and months.
– Donate to Adelaide Koala Rescue, which has been operating the largest-scale rescue of koalas from the Adelaide Hills bushfire zone. Since December 20th, 2019 they responded to hundreds of calls to rescue koalas and other species which have been impacted by these devastating bushfires.
– Local fire brigades fighting bush fires around the clock accept donations via their websites, including New South Wales Fire Service, the SA Country Fire Service, Tasmania Fire Service, and the Western Australia Fire Service.
– The Animal Rescue Craft Guild has sewn thousands of pouches for orphaned kangaroos, koalas, birds, bats etc but they need more. All knitters, crocheters and sewers can help!
There are also lots of amazing shops donating (part of their) proceeds to Australia. Some great initiatives that I found on Instagram:
– Tess van Zalinge is auctioning this beautiful Koala embroidery artwork as seen in the image above, as well as an Kangaroo artwork. The highest bid is fully donated to WWF Australia. Bidding ends today.
– Illustrator Laura Hacker has created this cute print of which 100% of the profits will be donated to Wildlife Victoria.
Australia may be a far away country for most of us but we all live on the same planet and we need to unite and help each other.