Bjørn Wiinblad (1918 – 2006) was a famous Danish painter, designer and artist in ceramics, silver, bronze, textiles, and graphics. Characteristics of Wiinblad’s work include whimsical round-faced people, dressed in vaguely 19th-century costume. They are often surrounded by natural elements: twining vines, floral wreaths, and fantastical trees. His style was anything but ‘conventionally Danish’. While functionalism ruled the roost in Denmark, Bjørn Wiinblad trod a very different path – one distinguished by intricately wavy lines, a rich colour palette and romantic, hedonistic universes. What was really important to him was to give free rein to his creative zest and to spread delight to Danish homes through his numerous and varied productions. No matter what surface or medium Wiinblad chose for his creations, his style was instantly recognisable and truly inimitable. Wiinblad was one of a kind and his vision was to bring joy to people and to introduce his creative delight into homes throughout Denmark. In recent decades, Bjørn Wiinblad’s designs have been ‘in hibernation’, almost forgotten in Denmark. But luckily Copenhagen based Rosendahl Design Group has revitalizes Winnblad’s name and his majical universe has been reinterpreted in a range of new products.
ABOUTThe Style Files is Danielle de Lange’s daily weblog about design and (life) style. More>>
SPONSORSINTERESTED IN ADVERTISING?
- A BEAUTIFUL NEW ENGLAND INSPIRED HOME IN MAINE, USA
- A BEAUTIFUL APARTMENT (FOR SALE) IN AMSTERDAM
- A MIX OF TRADITION & MODERN AESTHETICS ON PAROS
- FRENCH INSPIRED SILK COLLECTION BY & OTHER STORIES
- A MODERN SHAKER KITCHEN IN AN OLD UK CATTLE SHED
- IN THE SPOTLIGHT: THE SOCKET TABLE LAMP BY MENU
- AN INDUSTRIAL IRON CAST SOHO LOFT IN NEW YORK CITY
- THE SURFRIDER: A CALIFORNIA BEACH HOUSE HOTEL
- BEST HOME DECOR ITEMS BY URBAN OUTFITTERS
- A SCANDINAVIAN APARTMENT WITH A VINTAGE TOUCH